The Burgtheater (en: Castle Theatre or Imperial Court Theatre), originally known as K.K. Theater an der Burg, then until 1920 as the K.K. Hofburgtheater, is the Austria's federal theatre in Vienna and one of the most important German language theatres in the world.
It was created on 14 March 1741 by Habsburg Empress Maria Theresa of Austria to be a theatre next to her palace, and her son, emperor Joseph II called the "German National Theatre" in 1776. Beginning in 1794, the theatre was called the "K.K. Hoftheater nächst der Burg". The theatre was moved to a new building at the Ringstraße on 14 October 1888 designed by Gottfried Semper and Karl Freiherr von Hasenauer. After it was burned out in 1944, the castle theatre was restored in 1955. The classic Burgtheater style and the Burgtheater German language were trend-setting for German language theaters.